Tippers are specialist vehicles with specialist equipment which makes them complicated to repair and, in turn, more expensive to insure.

What type of insurance do I need for my tipper van?

There are three basic types of cover available for van drivers. These are carriage of own goods, haulage, and carriage of goods for hire or reward.

Whatever you use your tipper van for will dictate which type of insurance policy you must choose. For example, if you are a builder and you drive your tipper around site, you will most likely need carriage of own goods.

As with any vehicle insurance, there are also three main levels of cover available -- Third Party Only (TPO), Third Party Fire & Theft (TPF&T), and fully Comprehensive.

You may also want to consider adding extras to your policy, like breakdown cover, to make sure that you'll be able to get back to work as quickly as possible if anything goes wrong.

How do I get cheap tipper van insurance?

Although you may want to try and save money by choosing a lesser form of cover, such as TPO, insurers will sometimes actually charge more for this. This is because drivers who choose a less inclusive form of cover can be deemed a higher risk.

Choosing a comprehensive policy is the only way to ensure you're fully covered in the event of an accident and avoid unexpected and costly repair bills.

The best way to find cheap tipper van insurance is to compare quotes and choose the best policy for you.

With The Van Insurer you can compare quotes from some of the UK's top brokers just by filling in a five-minute form.