With The Van Insurer you can compare cheap commercial van insurance quotes whether you're a plumber who carries tools and materials or a courier driver delivering parcels for work.

Why compare commercial van insurance with The Van Insurer?

We compare commercial van insurance quotes from up to 50 UK brokers.

That means you get lots of choice and with our experience of navigating the van insurance market, we're confident that you'll find a quote that you can afford to live with.

What is commercial van insurance?

Commercial van insurance is a form of cover which is essential if you use your van for work or business. In fact, it's not just essential, it's a legal requirement.

You can compare commercial van insurance of several types and the one that's right for you depends on how you use your van for work.

A commercial van is basically any van which is used for business reasons. These vans are typically split into two main categories:

  • Light commercial vehicles (LCV) -- up to 3.5 tonnes in weight
  • Heavy commercial vehicles (HCV) -- more than 3.5 tonnes in weight

In order to use these vehicles for any type of business, they need to have appropriate insurance cover, which differs significantly from van insurance for social, domestic and pleasure use only.

The types of commercial van insurance

There are three main types of commercial van insurance. They are:

1. Carriage of own goods

Carriage of own goods is ideal for someone who uses their van to carry tools and materials to jobs. For example, a joiner who uses a van to carry their tools to and from jobs would require carriage of own goods cover.

2. Carriage of goods for hire or reward

If you use your van to deliver goods -- basically if you're a delivery driver -- you'll probably require carriage of goods for hire or reward commercial van insurance. However it's slightly different to haulage cover, the third type of commercial van insurance.

3. Haulage

Haulage cover is slightly different to carriage of goods for hire or reward in that it's specific to delivery drivers who deliver single items, usually covering long distances, and usually to a set location.

Which commercial van insurance policy is right for me?

The type of policy that's right for you depends on the type of work you use your van to carry out. You can find a great one in terms of coverage and cost, by comparing commercial van insurance with us.

If you're a tradesperson, for example a builder or a plumber, then a carriage of own goods policy is probably the one for you because it covers you taking tools and materials to and from a job. However, the tools and materials themselves (and any other contents of your van) will not usually be covered by a carriage of own goods policy, so you may want to arrange a goods in transit policy too.

If you're a delivery driver who makes multiple stops at different destinations and along different routes then carriage of goods for hire or reward should be right for you. It will cover the goods inside your van.

If you're a delivery driver but take deliveries to a single location on a set route, then a haulage policy should be right for you. As above, it will cover the goods you carry.

The important thing is that you decide which type of policy is the right one for you. Speak to an insurer if you're unsure because if you do not have the right policy in place and you need to make a claim, your insurer may not pay out.

What level of cover do I need for commercial van insurance?

As well as deciding which form of commercial van insurance you need, you'll also need to select a basic level of cover too.

This might sound complicated but essentially it's like any other form of van cover in that you need to pick between Third Party Only, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Comprehensive cover.

Want to learn more about each form of cover? Click the following links:

What is comprehensive van insurance cover?
What is Third Party, Fire and Theft van insurance?
What is Third Party Only van insurance?

What details do I need to compare cheap commercial van insurance quotes?

Whenever you get a van insurance quote you'll need some basic details about you and your vehicle. On The Van Insurer it's split into four small parts:

1. About you

This section covers very basic details including your name, contact details and date of birth.

2. Driver details

This section covers details about you as a driver, including the type of licence you have and any claims, convictions or other drivers you want to add to your policy. If you haven't got any you'll move forward to section three, if not you'll need to list these claims and convictions.

3. Policy details

This section covers the type of cover you want. If you're after a form of commercial van insurance, you'll need to select your preference here, along with your annual mileage and No Claims Bonus (NCB) information.

4. Vehicle details

Here you'll need to fill in details about the van you want to insure and where you'll keep it. Questions cover things like your van's engine size, the number of seats it has and when you bought it (if you haven't bought it yet you can still get a quote!).

Once you've done that you click Get Quotes and then you'll see the cheapest quotes we've been able to find at that time from the brokers on our panel. All you need to do is decide which one is right for you.

Get Commercial van insurance with The Van Insurer

With The Van Insurer you can compare cheap commercial van insurance quotes online and over the phone, so if you'd prefer to get insurance over the phone, you can.