If you're a self-employed cleaner, you'll know exactly how important your van is to your work.

Without it getting you, your tools and your supplies to your next job would be difficult and if you don't get to your next job, you can't pay the bills.

That's why your van and the insurance policy you choose to cover it are so vital to making a living.

Why is van insurance so important for cleaners?

Van insurance is a legal requirement for anyone who drives a van and a business van insurance policy is required for anyone who uses their van for work.

But if you buy the wrong form of business cover by mistake, your insurer is unlikely to pay out on your claim.

That means in the worst-case scenario, if you need to make a claim, you won't receive any money from your insurer and you will have to foot the bill for repairs or a replacement vehicle yourself.

If you don't want to risk being hit hard in the pocket, getting the right form of van insurance is vital.

What type of business van insurance do cleaners need?

The type of business van insurance you need depends on what you do for work.

There are three basic types of business insurance for van drivers, they are:

  • Carriage of own goods
  • Carriage of goods for hire or reward
  • Haulage

For most self-employed van drivers, carriage of own goods insurance is what they need because they want cover for their tools, materials, van and themselves.

That's unless they're a delivery driver when either carriage of goods for hire or reward or haulage is what they should need.

Cleaners can compare van insurance with The Van Insurer. We compare quotes from some of the UK's leading business van insurance providers.