What type of business van insurance do you need?

Vans are an entirely different category from cars and so the legal requirements for insurance cover are also entirely different.

Insuring your van can be confusing because there are many different types of insurance to choose from, but if you don't get the class of use right your policy could be deemed invalid and insurers will be unlikely to pay out in the event of a claim.

If you use your van for hobbies such as surfing, fishing or domestic gardening then a social-only private policy should cover you.

But if you want to use your van for business use, or even commuting to and from your place of work, then you'll need to purchase a business van insurance policy.

There are three basic types of business insurance for van drivers, they are:

  • Carriage of own goods
  • Carriage of goods for hire or reward
  • Haulage

See how much you can save

Compare van insurance quotes today!

Here's a few examples of common business uses for vans:

Cleaning business

If your cleaning job involves more than just a mop and bucket then a van is the best mode of transport to use.

You can store industrial cleaning machines safely in the back and use hooks and attachments to keep cleaning supplies off the floor.

Plus accidental spillages are much easier to clean off a van floor than they are off car seats and carpets!

If you're a self-employed cleaner you'll most likely need carriage of own goods insurance as this will cover you for tools and materials as well as the van itself.

Ice cream van

When thinking about van based trades we often think about builders before ice cream on the go, despite the fact that the majority of us will have bought a lolly from an ice cream van at one point or another.

If you have an ice cream van your trade is likely to be seasonal, so short-term van insurance could be ideal for you.

However, if you are able to trade all year round then a 12-month insurance policy could actually save you more money than short-term.

See how much you can save

Compare electric van insurance quotes today!


Minibuses are a popular form of transport for taxi firms, schools, universities, care homes -- even big families!

The only feature that differentiates a minibus from a van is the number of seats, with some able to carry up to 16 passengers at a time.

You can still drive a minibus on your standard driving licence but you will need insurance that is specifically for a minibus, although the policy can be for either personal or business use.

Sometimes additional options can be added such as foreign use cover which is for minibus drivers who need to drive throughout Europe or haulage insurance if you need to use your van to transport cargo.

Compare van insurance quotes with The Van Insurer

Whatever you need your van for, you can compare van insurance quotes with The Van Insurer online and over the phone.

We compare quotes from some of the biggest brokers in the UK and find you the cheapest quotes available there and then.