How to get cheap van insurance for a young driver
It can be expensive to insure a van when you are a young driver – even if you have driven a car before for a number of years.
Unfortunately, the statistics work against such drivers and those aged between 17 and 24 are much more likely to be involved in an accident and make a claim.
25 per cent of young drivers are involved in serious accidents and road deaths, despite only making up 12 per cent of all licence holders.
While the risk factor is higher for younger drivers, there are ways of bringing your van insurance premium down:
• Choose a van that falls into a lower insurance group. For example, a Vauxhall Corsa van will be cheaper to insure for a younger driver than a Renault Master
• Opting for third party-only insurance can keep your costs down. However, this means you won’t be covered for any damage to your own vehicle if you’re involved in an incident, only the third party vehicle or property
• Ensuring that your van has good security, such as an alarm or immobiliser, can help to keep your insurance premiums down
• Include an older, more experienced van driver as a named driver on your van insurance policy. Ensure that they are only a named driver though, and not the main driver, as the latter would be fraudulent
• Pay for your annual insurance up front. Insurance companies tend to charge more when you pay in direct debit instalments
• Increase your voluntary policy excess
• Buy a small and light van if it can suit your needs
While all of the above will help get cheaper van insurance for a young driver, there are some pitfalls with some suggestions.
For example, if you decided to increase your excess (the amount you’ll pay when you make a claim) you need to make sure you can afford it. It may also be very difficult for a young person to pay the insurance up front.
Also, opting for third party only insurance can be a big risk, as any damage to your van will not be covered if you are deemed to have caused the accident, which could leave you seriously out of pocket.
When looking for van insurance for young drivers, it pays to compare as many insurance providers as possible. Click to get a quick quote from up to 40 providers today!
GET A QUOTE
Compare van insurance from the top UK brokers now!Get a quote